- 1kg Steak Pieces
- 4 White Onions, sliced
- 4 Carrots, peeled & cut into big chunks
- 4 sticks of Celery, cut into big chunks
- 4 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Henderson’s Yorkshire Relish
- 4 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Powder
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1 or 1.5 litres Beef or Vegetable Stock (or a mixture of both) – depends on how much gravy you want.
I’ve listed the ingredients for a large amount as the Beef Casserole freezes well, but half the recipe will give you a great feed!
Put the Flour, Mustard Powder, Salt & Pepper in a large plastic box (with lid) or bag and mix well.
Throw in the Beef, put on the lid of the box and shake to coat the Beef in the flour mixture.
Heat a good slosh of Rapeseed Oil in a large pan on a medium-high heat, and fry the Beef in batches until browned. Take the Beef out and leave on a plate.
Once all the Beef is browned and removed from the pan, scrape out as much of the flour mixture with a wooden spoon and add it to the Beef).
Turn down the heat to medium & throw in the Onions & Garlic and sweat for 10 minutes.
Throw in the Carrots, Celery & the herbs and stir it all up.
Add the Tomatoes, Henderson’s Yorkshire Relish & Stock, stir again.
Bring the pan to a simmer then put on the lid, turn it down a bit and simmer away for 2-3 hours until the Beef is tender.